40th G7 summit
After Russia's involvement in the 2014 Crimean crisis, some people wanted Russia to leave the G8. On March 24, United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron said that the meeting would not occur in Russia due to the Crimean crisis. The other seven countries decided to hold it without Russia.
|Core G7 members|
Host state and leader are shown in bold text.
|Canada||Stephen Harper||Prime Minister|
|Italy||Matteo Renzi||Prime Minister|
|Japan||Shinzō Abe||Prime Minister|
|United Kingdom||David Cameron||Prime Minister|
|United States||Barack Obama||President|
|European Union||José Manuel Barroso||Commission President|
|Herman Van Rompuy||Council President|
Invited leaders Edit
A number of national leaders are traditionally invited to attend the summit.
On June 4, 2014 on G7 meeting in Brussels leaders of the G7 nations in their joint statement condemned Moscow for its «continuing violation» of Ukraine's sovereignty and say they are prepared to impose further sanctions on Russia over its actions in Ukraine.
The G7 summit on June 4–5, 2014 is the first since Russia was expelled from the group following its annexation of Crimea in March.
Protesters and demonstrations Edit
Planning for the summit has to anticipate protest groups and other activists.
Business opportunity Edit
For some, the G8 summit will be a profit-generating event; as for example, the G8 Summit magazines which have been published since 1998.
Related pages Edit
- "G-7 spares Russia new sanctions". Bloomberg News. 5 June 2014.
- "G7 leaders warn Russia of fresh sanctions over Ukraine". BBC News. 5 June 2014.
- "Russia to hold 2014 G8 summit in Sochi: Putin" at PressTV.ir Archived 2013-06-24 at the Wayback Machine, 19 June 2013; retrieved 2013-6-19.
- "Lawmakers call for suspension of Russia from G8, swift action against Putin".
- "Russia G8 status at risk over 'incredible act of aggression' in Crimea, says Kerry".
- News, Channel 4 (24 March 2014). "There will be no G8 summit in Russia this year - David Cameron. #c4news".
|last=has generic name (help)
- "G8 summit 'won't be held in Russia'", BBC News, 24 March 2014; retrieved 2014-3-24.
- Leaders plan Brussels G7 in June instead of G8 in Sochi Irish Independent, 2014-03-24.
- Rieffel, Lex. "Regional Voices in Global Governance: Looking to 2010 (Part IV)," Archived 2010-06-03 at the Wayback Machine Brookings. March 27, 2009; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- "G7 leaders warn Russia of fresh sanctions over Ukraine". BBC News. 2014-06-05.
- Balde, Lisa and Phil Rogers. "Adbusters Wants 50,000 G8/NATO Protesters in Chicago," NBCChicago (US), 27 January 2012; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Prestige Media: Archived 2009-05-19 at the Wayback Machine 2012 G8 Summit Publication Distribution Archived 2009-05-18 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2012-5-20.
Other websites Edit
- University of Toronto: G8 Information Centre
- Parliament.uk, Graphic shows G8 in context Archived 2014-03-26 at the Wayback Machine
39th G8 summit
| 40th G8 summit
41st G8 summit