letter of the Latin alphabet
|The Latin alphabet|
E is the fifth (number 5) letter in the English alphabet.
- For the drug sometimes referred to E, see Ecstasy.
In English it has two main sounds when it is spoken. Usually it is a short E (ĕ), but sometimes it is a long E (ē).
One more thing in English is the so-called magic E, also known as the silent E. That is when a silent e at the end of a word makes the previous e long. Example: morpheme, which is pronounced as morphēm.
Typographic types of EEdit
The types of E include (but may not be limited to) capital E lower-case e é È è Ê ê Ë É ë Ě ě Ē ē Ĕ ĕ Ė ė Ę ę
None of these different types are used in English, except occasionally É/é for some French words such fiancé, café, and crème brûlée.
Meanings for EEdit
These meanings are for E/e as a separate letter.
- In computers, the letter e is often used to start other words to mean "electronic", like in e-mail or e-commerce.
- In money, e is commonly used as a symbol for the euro when the symbol € is not available.
- In music, E is a note, sometimes referred to as “Mi”.
- In mathematics, e is a constant about 2.718; see e (mathematical constant)
- In Wheel of Fortune, E is one of the six letters given to any contestant participating in the "Bonus Round."
- E! is an American television network