19th letter in the English alphabet
|The Latin alphabet|
Meanings for S change
- On calendars, S is most times the short letter for Saturday or Sunday, or the month September.
- In chemistry, S is the symbol for sulphur.
- In Wheel of Fortune, S is one of the six letters given to any contestant participating in the "Bonus Round."
- S is the letter onomotopeiacally used to characterize the hissing noise known to be made by snakes, e.g. "sssssss..."
- Hebrew_people also consider “S” to be sacred because it is the initial of Sameh, God.