Republic of Cyprus
The Republic of Cyprus is a member state of the European Union. It is in Asia, but it is often associated with Europe because of the culture and history of the people. The capital is Nicosia. Most of the population speaks Greek and Turkish.
Republic of Cyprus
Anthem: Ethnikós Ýmnos tis Kypriakís Dimokratías
Εθνικος Υμνος τις Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας
National Anthem of the Republic of Cyprus1
and largest city
|Nicosia (Λευκωσία, Lefkoşa)|
|Official languages||Greek, Turkish|
|Recognised regional languages||Armenian, Cypriot Arabic|
|Ethnic groups |
|Demonym(s)||Cypriot, Greek Cypriot, Turkish Cypriot|
from the United Kingdom
|19 February 1959|
|16 August 1960|
|9,251 km2 (3,572 sq mi) (167th)|
• Water (%)
• 2010 estimate
|803,147 (Does not include North)|
1,088,503 (whole island)
|117/km2 (303.0/sq mi) (115th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2010 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2010 estimate|
• Per capita
low · 19th
|HDI (2011)|| 0.840|
very high · 31st
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
• Summer (DST)
|ISO 3166 code||CY|
In July 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus. Since then the northern part of the island has been under Turkish control. The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus became independent in 1983 but it is recognised only by Turkey. When entering by aeroplane, a short stop is made at an airport in mainland Turkey.
The present situation[needs to be explained] came about because Cyprus, historically Greek, was conquered and became part of the Ottoman Empire from 1570–1914. The British administered it from 1878 until 1960. Likewise, Greece had been part of the Ottoman Empire for several centuries. Negotiations for a unified island have been held several times without success.
In 2004, Cyprus joined the European Union. On 1 January 2008 Cyprus adopted the Euro, the single European currency. Northern Cyprus accepts Turkish lira, and sometimes the Euro or United States dollar.
There are two mountain ranges, the Troodos Mountains and the smaller Kyrenia Range. The Pedieos River is the longest on the island. The highest point on Cyprus is Mount Olympus at 1,952 metres (6,404 feet).
The Republic of Cyprus is only on the southern two-thirds of the island (59.74%). The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is the northern third (34.85%).
The Republic of Cyprus is a constitutional presidential republic. Each president is elected for a five-year term. The president has a lot of power. Cyprus is the only member of the European Union that is governed by a presidential system of government. It is one of few countries (along with San Marino) to have had a democratically-elected communist government, in office from 2008 until 2013. The current[when?] governing party is the Democratic Rally.
- Constitution of the Republic of Cyprus: "The official languages of the Republic are Greek and Turkish" (Appendix D, Part 01, Article 3)
- "Cyprus". The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 9 February 2010.
- "Total population as of 1 January". Eurostat. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "Cyprus". International Monetary Fund. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Lee, Jessica; Bindloss, Joe; Quintero, Josephine (2018-02-01). Lonely Planet Cyprus. Lonely Planet. ISBN 978-1-78701-175-5.CS1 maint: date and year (link)
- "Cyprus: Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games". Glasgow2014. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "EUROPA – The EU at a glance – Maps – Cyprus". Europa (web portal). Retrieved 27 March 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to cyprus.|