This article needs more sources for reliability. (January 2020)
Caillou is an Canadian children's animated television series based on a series of books of the same name by author Christine L'Heureux and illustrator Hélène Desputeaux. Caillou was first voiced by Bryn McAuley, then Jaclyn Linetsky. Due to the latter's death in 2003, she was replaced with Annie Bovaird.
|Also known as||Caillou's New Adventures (revival series)|
|Created by||Original series:|
|Based on||Original series: |
Caillou book series by Hélène Desputeaux
|Opening theme||I'm Caillou!|
|Ending theme||I'm Caillou! (Insturmental)|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||144 (list of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Original series|
Cinar (Seasons 1-3)
Cookie Jar Entertainment (Seasons 4-5)
Clockwork Zoo (Season 5)
Cookie Jar Entertainment (2006-2010) (Original series)
WildBrain (Revival series)
|Original network||Original series:|
Télétoon (Seasons 1-4, French)
Teletoon (Seasons 1-4, English)
Treehouse TV (Season 5)
|Audio format||Original series:|
Dolby Digital 5.1
|Original release||Original series:|
September 15, 1997 –
October 3, 2010
November 24, 2016 –
About the showEdit
The show is about a young boy named Caillou who lives with his mother Doris, his father Boris, his little sister Rosie, and his pet cat Gilbert. Mr. Hinkle lives next door to Caillou's house.
Caillou was 4 years old and wore a gray shirt in season 1. Later, he wore a yellow shirt in season 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. In season 4 and 5, Caillou started going to preschool. Many parents have criticized the show, due to Caillou's behavior. The series was given a web series called Caillou's New Adventures in 2016. In July 2022, NBCUniversal announced that Caillou will be revived on Peacock in 2023.
The series originally aired on Teletoon in Canada. It also aired on PBS Kids, Sprout and Cartoonito in the United States, The show will also be shown in the upcoming Nick Jr. series Kawaii Club.
Caillou (meaning pebble or stone in French), nicknamed by himself The Prince of Imagination, is the title character of the show. Caillou was first voiced by Bryn McAuley from 1997 to 2000, then Jaclyn Linetsky in 2000 until 2003, and then, due to Linetsky's death, Annie Bovaird from 2003 to 2010. Caillou was first shown in the episode "Caillou Makes Cookies", which aired in 1997.
Caillou is an imaginative four-year-old boy with a love for forms of transportive machinery such as rocket ships and airplanes. A dreamer, Caillou is inclined to frequent dream sequences in some episodes, visualizing his daydreams and wishes, and many episodes describe his normal daily experiences with his parents, friends, and neighbours. Caillou particularly loves his stuffed dinosaur, Rexy, and teddy bear, Teddy, along with his pet cat Gilbert, all of whom are depicted as puppets in segments featured in the earlier episodes.
- Rosie (French name: Mousseline) – Caillou's lively younger sister who is a typical toddler. She is two years old. She always wants to take part in the same activities as Caillou. In later seasons of the series, she becomes more talkative and independent. She wears a blue dress, red socks and blue Mary Jane shoes. Rosie fights with Caillou for some reasons, but they still love each other. She appears to be the only family member with red hair. Rosie was first voiced by Brigid Tierney, then Jesse Vinet.
- Daisy – is a deuteragonist in the Caillou series six. Daisy the youngest of she always spewing quips and making rosie unhappy and be commentary about her surround.
- Cody – Caillou’s young brother is was regular to be kindly with things, He debuted in series seven.
- Doris/Mommy – Caillou's mother. She is a busy homemaker most of the time but is seen to work in an office, as well. Caillou occasionally helps his mother with different chores, and she often takes time to involve Caillou and his friends in activities such as crafts and baking. She is predominantly dressed in a red blouse with yellow trim, blue headband, ankle-length blue jeans and blue shoes with green soles. Voiced by Jennifer Seguin.
- Boris/Daddy – Caillou's father. He wears a green sweater with a red trim with blue jeans. In the episode "Caillou The Chef" he says he once worked at a restaurant and made pizza. He and Caillou occasionally work on projects around the house together. He is voiced by Pat Fry.
- Gilbert – Caillou's pet cat. In the puppet segments, he is shown to be knowledgeable about things which are foreign to Rexy and Teddy.
- Grandma – Caillou's paternal grandmother. Grandma is a very active lady who loves the arts and the outdoors. She passes that love onto Caillou. Grandma often comes up with creative ideas to solve Caillou's problems. She and Caillou paint and go bird-watching together. Voiced by Pauline Little.
- Grandpa – Caillou's paternal grandfather. He takes Caillou on adventures, often going on walks and riding the bus throughout the town where they reside. In "Caillou's Hiding Place", he showed Caillou a hidden area inside a tree in the backyard. In the episode "Caillou Goes Camping", he and Caillou camp in the backyard. He is Daddy's father and loves to tell stories about when Calliou's father was a little boy. He wears a blue shirt. Voiced by George Morris.
Caillou has a total of five seasons of 144 half-hour episodes, as well as the 90-minute movie Caillou's Holiday Movie.
|1||65||September 15, 1997||July 5, 2000|
|2||20||September 4, 2000||July 2, 2002|
|3||13||November 15, 2002||October 7, 2003|
|4||20||April 3, 2006||September 23, 2008|
|5||26||September 11, 2010||October 3, 2010|
|6||35||September 3, 2012||July 24, 2013|
In 1989, the first Caillou book of the Caillou book series was made.
|Episode Name||First aired||Episode description||Notes||Episode number in season|
|Caillou Makes Cookies||September 15, 1997||Caillou makes cookies... until he makes a big mess and needs to clean his mess.||First Appearances of: Caillou, Gilbert, Mommy, Daddy, Rosie. Some airdates of this episode online are incorrect.||1|
|Caillou’s Not Afraid Anymore||September 16, 1997||Caillou is afraid of Mr. Hinkle, until he learns he is a kind man.||This episode first aired on September 16, 1997. Some websites, say this episode first aired in 1998 though it first aired in 1997.||2|
|Caillou Hates Vegetables||September 17, 1997||Caillou hates veggies.||It is possible this episode aired on September 17, 1997.||3|
|Caillou’s All Alone||September 18, 1997||Caillou is alone.||Unknown||4|
|Caillou Tidies His Toys||September 19, 1997||Caillou learns to tidy his toys.||This episode aired probably on September 19, 1997.||5|
- ↑ "At last, the 2005 Caillou agreement is made public RAAV". www.raav.org. Archived from the original on 2016-03-27. Retrieved 2020-04-17.
- ↑ "L'entente secrète de 2005 dévoilée". Le Devoir (in French). Retrieved 2020-04-17.
- ↑ "Caillou & Stars Red Trick-Or-Treat Bag". PBSkids.org. Archived from the original on May 6, 2017.
Caillou is surrounded by stars on a personalized swag bag that's ready for Halloween treats. The Prince of Imagination is here to make it a Happy Halloween!
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 "About". Caillou.com. Archived from the original on March 31, 2016.
Meet Caillou, the lovable four-year old
Meet Caillou's little sister, Rosie! At 2 years old, Rosie is a giggly little girl who loves to play tricks on her big brother.
Meet Caillou's Mom, Doris! Although some know her in the workplace as Doris, she's known as Mommy in Caillou's household.
Meet Caillou's Dad, Boris!
Meet Caillou's Grandpa! Grandpa always takes Caillou on fun adventures – like fishing, riding the bus through town and camping! He is Caillou's Daddy's father
- ↑ Caillou Episode – "Caillou the Chef" (Season 4)
- ↑ Caillou Episode – "Caillou's Hiding Place"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Animation Portfolio: CAILLOU • Sea Monster". Seamonster.co.za. Archived from the original on December 24, 2013. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- ↑ "DHX Media – Distribution – Caillou – Catalogue – Pre-School". Distribution.dhxmedia.com. Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- ↑ "DHX Media – Distribution – Caillou's Holiday Movie – Catalogue – Pre-School". Distribution.dhxmedia.com. Archived from the original on March 24, 2014. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- ↑ "Come Learn With Caillou! – Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2013. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- ↑ "Caillou . Parents & Teachers . Episodes Descriptions . Season 3". Caillou.com. Archived from the original on October 10, 2013. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- ↑ "New Caillou" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on January 14, 2007. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- ↑ "For the Kid Inside!". The Cookie Jar Company. September 8, 2010. Archived from the original on November 18, 2011. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- ↑ Buy Caillou, Season 1 - Microsoft Store en-CA
- ↑ Caillou: Caillou's Not Afraid Anymore Full Episode | TV Guide