South Dakota is a state in the United States. South Dakota became a state on November 2, 1889. Its capital is Pierre and largest city is Sioux Falls. Other important cities are Rapid City and Aberdeen. Famous attractions include Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, and the Wall Drug Store. The Corn Palace is also famous, and it is in Mitchell.
|State of South Dakota|
The Mount Rushmore State (official)
Under God the People Rule
|Anthem: Hail, South Dakota!|
|Before statehood||Dakota Territory|
|Admitted to the Union||November 2, 1889 (39th or 40th)|
|Largest city||Sioux Falls|
|Largest metro and urban areas||Sioux Falls metropolitan area|
|• Governor||Kristi Noem (R)|
|• Lieutenant Governor||Larry Rhoden (R)|
|Legislature||South Dakota Legislature|
|• Upper house||Senate|
|• Lower house||House of Representatives|
|U.S. senators||John Thune (R)|
Mike Rounds (R)
|U.S. House delegation||Dusty Johnson (R) (list)|
|• Total||77,116 sq mi (199,729 km2)|
|• Land||75,811 sq mi (196,350 km2)|
|• Water||1,305 sq mi (3,379 km2) 1.7%|
|• Length||380 mi (610 km)|
|• Width||210 mi (340 km)|
|Elevation||2,200 ft (670 m)|
|Highest elevation||7,244 ft (2,208 m)|
|Lowest elevation||968 ft (295 m)|
|• Density||11.44/sq mi (4.42/km2)|
|• Density rank||46th|
|• Median household income||$56,521|
|• Income rank||30th|
|• Official language||English • Sioux|
|eastern half||UTC−06:00 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−05:00 (CDT)|
|western half||UTC−07:00 (Mountain)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−06:00 (MDT)|
|ISO 3166 code||US-SD|
|Traditional abbreviation||S.D., S.Dak.|
|Latitude||42°29′ N to 45°56′ N|
|Longitude||96°26′ W to 104°03′ W|
|South Dakota state symbols|
|Flower||American Pasque flower|
|Grass||Western wheat grass|
|Tree||Black Hills Spruce|
|Other||Kuchen (state dessert)|
|State route marker|
|Lists of United States state symbols|
There are Nine Native American tribes that live in South Dakota.
- "Black Elk Peak". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Elevations and Distances in the United States". United States Geological Survey. 2001. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Elevation adjusted to North American Vertical Datum of 1988.
- "Median Annual Household Income". The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Archived from the original on December 20, 2016. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "South Dakota Codified Laws (1–27–20)". South Dakota State Legislature. Archived from the original on January 21, 2016. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "South Dakota recognizes official indigenous language". Argus Leader. Retrieved March 26, 2019.