Jersey is an island off the northwest coast of France. It is a crown dependency of the British monarchy. Jersey is called a bailiwick because the person who is the head of law for the island is called the Bailiff. The Bailiwick of Jersey also includes the islands of the Minquiers and Ecréhous, where nobody lives. The other islands of the Channel Islands belong to the Bailiwick of Guernsey. The country code (also used for internet) is JE.
Bailiwick of Jersey
|Anthem: "God Save the Queen"|
|Regional anthem: "Island Home"|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Separation from the Duchy of Normandy||1204|
and largest city
|Recognised regional languages|
|Ethnic groups |
3.8% Other European
|Religion||Church of England|
|Government||Parliamentary democratic constitutional monarchy|
|Tim Le Cocq|
|John Le Fondré Jr|
|118.2 km2 (45.6 sq mi) (unranked)|
• Water (%)
|Highest elevation||469 ft (143 m)|
• 2019 estimate
|819/km2 (2,121.2/sq mi)|
|GDP (PPP)||2015 estimate|
|$6.0 billion (£4.57 billion) (not ranked)|
• Per capita
|$60,000 (£45,783) (not ranked)|
|HDI (2008)|| 0.985|
very high · not ranked
Jersey pound (£) (GBP)
|Time zone||UTC±00:00 (GMT)|
• Summer (DST)
|Mains electricity||230 V–50 Hz|
|ISO 3166 code||JE|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jersey.|
Over one hundred and six thousand people live on the main island. Thirty per cent of them live in its only town, Saint Helier.
Jersey is divided into 12 parishes which elect their own administration.
- "Anthem for Jersey". www.gov.je."Anthem for Jersey". www.gov.je.
- "Bulletin 2: Place of birth, ethnicity, length of residency, marital status" (PDF). Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Members". statesassembly.gov.je. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "Jersey facts and figures".
- "Measuring Jersey's Economy" (PDF). 28 September 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Filling Gaps in the Human Development Index Archived 5 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine, United Nations ESCAP, February 2009
- About Jersey (Visitors' guide)
- Les Pâraîsses d'Jèrri en Jèrriais (map of parishes, coat-of-arms, and history)
- States of Jersey (Jersey government's website)
- BBC Jersey
- Jersey History
- This is Jersey (Local Portal)
- Jersey Insight (Local Portal)
- CIA World Factbook information about Jersey
- Map of Jersey