Jordan is a country in the Middle East. Its official name is The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
المملكة الأردنية الهاشمية (Arabic)
Al-Mamlakah Al-Urdunnīyah Al-Hāshimīyah
Motto: "God, Country, King"
الله، الوطن ، الملك"
"Allah, Al-Waṭan, Al-Malik"
Anthem: "The Royal Anthem of Jordan"
السلام الملكي الأردني
Al-Salam Al-Malaki Al-Urdunni
and largest city
|House of Representatives|
from the United Kingdom mandate
|11 April 1921|
|25 May 1946|
|11 January 1952|
|89,341 km2 (34,495 sq mi) (110th)|
• Water (%)
• 2017 estimate
• 2015 census
|107/km2 (277.1/sq mi) (100th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2016 estimate|
|$86.193 billion (87th)|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2016 estimate|
|$39.453 billion (92nd)|
• Per capita
|HDI (2014)|| 0.748|
high · 80th
|Currency||Jordanian dinar (JOD)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
• Summer (DST)
|ISO 3166 code||JO|
Jordan is divided into 12 Governorates. The governorates are divided into 54 departments or districts named Nahias.
Jordan is a constitutional monarchy and has a king. The King is the head of state, but he does not have all the power in the country. King Abdullah II has been the King of Jordan since February 1999. Most Jordanians are Muslim. There are around 200-400,000 Christians.
Jordan's national meal is mansaf. The most popular sport is football.
Unlike some of the countries around it, Jordan has little petroleum and natural gas. Some of its economy comes from mining instead. Jordan is the largest producer of the mineral phosphate in the world. Jordan is a Member of the OECD since 2019 as the first Arab Country to do so.
The currency of Jordan is called the Jordanian dinar.
- Temperman, Jeroen (2010). State-Religion Relationships and Human Rights Law: Towards a Right to Religiously Neutral Governance. Brill. p. 87. ISBN 90-04-18148-2. Retrieved 20 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population clock". Department of Statistics. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Jordan". International Monetary Fund.
- "Gini index". World Bank. Retrieved 14 June 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2015 Human Development Report Summary" (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. 1 January 2015. pp. 21–25. Retrieved 6 June 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Economic Impact on the U.S. of a U.S.-Jordan Free Trade Agreement, Inv. 332-418. DIANE Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4578-2335-0.
Media related to Jordan at Wikimedia Commons